Re: Latest list of undocumented commands

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 08:58:52AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> 1. neither ar nor awk have manpages in Andries Bouwer's manpages package,
> but I have man pages for both ar and mawk on my Debian box, so I guess I
> should look a SUS first? What is the defining doc otherwise?

Andries Bouwer's man pages don't (AFAIK) cover sections 1 or 8. Man
pages for commands (its a bit different than for interfaces) do
sometimes differ between linux distributions because they can use
totally different upstream sources for the command or they patch them
differently.

I have been using the SUS as the primary reference and generally using
the guidelines at:

http://ozlabs.org/people/cyeoh/lsb/cspec_guidelines.html

to resolve conflicts.

> 2. awk is probably not used on any Linux these days and has been replaced
> by gawk, mawk, and nawk (possibly bawk and cawk ;-), so what should the
> spec call out? Should I look for a compatable subset of features or should
> we spec a particular fork, like gawk?

I'm not sure about this one (opinions anyone else?). I haven't
addressed the problems of language syntax extensions/differences for
commands like make, awk or sed either.

> If I can finish this is reasonable time, I'll take on a couple more, but
> let's see how this goes first.

Thats great - thanks!

Regards,

Chris.