Re: [Linux-ia64] Re: PROPOSED: 32/64 bit coexistance

David Mosberger <davidm@hpl.hp.com> writes:

>   >> It turns out that three of the four resulting possibilities make
>   >> sense:
>   >>
>   >> (1) ia64/ilp32 (2) ia64/lp64 (3) x86/ilp32
>
>   Andreas> Then we should discuss where those will end.  For ia64, the
>   Andreas> places are according to the proposal:
>
>   Andreas> (1) not defined
>   Andreas> (2) /lib and /usr/lib
>   Andreas> (3) not defind - but not /lib
>
> (2) is fine, but I think LSB should also (3)---at least for ia64.
> It's important for distributors to agree on the local of (3).  The
> current proposal is /emul/ia32-linux.

I agree and will add it to the proposal.

>   >> Now, as far as /libXX is concerned: in my opinion, /lib should
>   >> contain the "native" or "preferred" library format (primarily for
>   >> source compatibility and user convenience reasons).  LSB is in
>   >> denial if it claims /lib is used for 32-bit libraries only.  Both
>   >> IA-64 and Alpha use it for 64-bit libraries and if, god forbid,
>   >> someone ever added ILP32 support to IA-64 Linux, those libraries
>   >> would certainly go into /lib32 or something of that sort.  LSB
>   >> should consider and accommodate this case.
>
>   Andreas> The proposal should just do this - and defines the
>   Andreas> "preferred" library format.  For both ia64 and Alpha, it's
>   Andreas> 64-bit but for PPC64, Sparc64 etc it's 32-bit.
>
> If that's the idea, good.  From the description that you quoted, it
> sounded like the "Alpha case" was there solely for historical
> purposes, which would be misleading.  /lib should *always* contain the
> "preferred" library format.

But there are the following questions which I hope to get solved:
- what's the preferred format on a platform?
- where will the other formats live?
- where should emulations live?

I'm reworking the proposal tomorrow,
Andreas