Re: PROPOSED: 32/64 bit coexistance

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:

[...]
> I think Debian or SuSE folks have played with 64bit
> userland too and might get further, though if I remember Debian folks used
> to oppose this /lib and /lib64 scheme when I started using it for sparc64
> and wanted to do something else.

I don't know what Debian has done but this - and the situation on
64-bit S390 - is the reason the proposal was made and the discussion
was started.  For interoperability, we should define how 64-bit and
32-bit libraries and binaries should live together on any system.

Instead of re-inventing the wheel with each new 64-bit platform, I
prefer to see a solution that we all agree on and follow - and that's
handles existing 64-bit platforms and also coming platforms.

It doesn't make sense to have e.g. 5 different 64-bit platforms that
handle 64-bit and 32-bit libraries in 5 different ways.

The proposal reduces this two to solutions: 'pure' 64-bit systems,
like Alpha and ia64, and also mixed systems, like Sparc64, PPC64,
x86-64.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger