Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 03:00:24PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> >> CPIO format files specify file ownerships by numeric ID, not by name.
> > (I don't see why you'd care about distributing LSB stuff in CPIO format,
> > personally. You just went to all that trouble to let them distribute it in
> > rpm format, after all...)
> rpm is a feavily mod'ed CPIO, hence the need.

Well, if rpm is CPIO + extensions to store uid's by name instead of just
number, then there isn't a problem.

If they're only stored by number, then the LSB spec probably needs to be
a bit more specific about only allowing files owned by root and bin to
be distributed; or else providing uid's for the other users and groups
it specifies. It'll also need to say that they can only be referred to
by name in scripts and programs (apart from uid 0, I guess). Debian will
have to map the uid's the LSB specifies to the local username's in the
installer, in this case.

Cheers,
aj