Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

>From: "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@home.com>

>>> CPIO format files specify file ownerships by numeric ID, not by name.
>>
>> I don't have anything useful to say here, I just wanted to gag publically.
>>
>> (I don't see why you'd care about distributing LSB stuff in CPIO format,
>> personally. You just went to all that trouble to let them distribute it in
>> rpm format, after all...)
>>

>rpm is a feavily mod'ed CPIO, hence the need.

If you think about CPIO, keep in mind that it is an outdated format with
POSIX-200x. TAR is the only format that is extendable without end and witout
breaking backward compatibility.

.... of course you should not use GNUtar because it is not POSIX and because
it breaks basic TAR rules due to heavy design bugs.

Star is POSIX compliant: ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling