Re: GNU ar vs SUS

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 02:36:39PM -0400, Stuart Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > Is q==r just another "difference" to be listed along with N?
>
> Hi Dale!
> 	Yes, I think it is just another difference to document.

I don't think we actually need to document this myself, actually.
That last paragraph is an implementation note which promises that 'q'
will do more than the SUS 'q'.  If we leave it out, no major harm is
done, and it has the advantage of encouraging shell scripts to be
written in such a way that they will be likely to work correctly for
systems that might choose to use non-GNU ar programs.

(Past flame-wars on debian-devel about whether a theoretical
Debian/OpenBSD should use OpenBSD or Linux userland are included by
reference, *NOT* value here, but as a general rule, I believe that
encouraging dependence on GNU extensions in LSB applications should be
avoided unless there are some really, really good reasons why we think
the extensions are a Good Thing.  Especially in this case, where it's
really not that much of an extension, should why should we gratiously
rule out non-GNU implementations?)

						- Ted