Re: LSB Proposal: GNU/Linux Standard Shell

Hello All,

 >    2. POSIX: section 3.5 Parameters and Variables: sh_05 293:
 >      When a variable has been assigned a value (including the null
 >     value), then the variable is set and can only be unset by use of
 >       the unset special built-in.
 >     Test: BUG: Expecting ' set | grep "an_unset_var" ' to return 1 as
 >       exit status indicating an_unset_var is in fact unset. However,
 >       grep will catch lots of false positives this way. The correct way
 >       is to grep for '^an_unset_var='.
 >      Bash:
 >       Type: 1
>
 >The chances of the grep matching the name or contents of another
 >shell variable are very small given that the variable name used
 >is "sh5_293_var".  The test is almost certainly failing because bash
 >is including function definitions in the output of "set".  If this
 >non-compliance of bash is fixed then the test should pass.

I will pass this on to Chet.

 >11. POSIX: GA10 sh_05 378:
   >     GA10 - When a file is newly created by the $CATCREATEOUT utility,
   >   then the file attributes are set as follows:
   >     (1) The file's user ID is set to the effective user ID of the
   >    creating process.
  >      (2) The file's group ID is set to either the effective group ID of
  >     the creating process or to the group ID of the directory in which
 >       the file is created.
 >       (3) The file's permission bits are set to
 >       S_IROTH|S_IWOTH|S_IRGRP|S_IWGRP|S_IRUSR|S_IWUSR except that the
 >       bits set in the creating processes file mode creation mask are
 >       cleared.
 >       (4) The st_atime, st_ctime and st_mtime fields of the file are
 >       updated
 >       (5) When the file is a directory, then the directory is created
 >       empty.
 >       (6) When the file is not a directory, then it has zero length.
 >       (7) When the file type is not specified, then a regular file is
 >       created.
 >       Test: BUG: unable to locate GetFileData which is supposed to come
 >       with the test suite.
 >       Bash:
 >       Type: 1
 >
 >[Note this test is in sh_06 not sh_05]

Agree.  I will change this in my doc.

   > 23. POSIX: section 3.9.3.1 Asynchronous Lists: sh_08 461:
 >       The special parameter $! expands to the process ID of the last
 >       command in an asynchronous list.
 >       Test: BUG: 1) use print command in a script.
 >       2) invoke a shell script directly without putting the dot/sh
 >       command in front (e.g., sh8_461_2sh& instead of sh sh8_461_2sh& ).
 >       Bash:
 >       Type: 1
 >
 >I assume the "Type: 1" only applies to the first part (use of "print"),
 >since Chet's list says this test "works with bash-2.05 when `print'
 >changed to `echo'".

Ignore the second part.  I did notice "Chet's list says this test "works
with bash-2.05 when `print'
changed to `echo'""; however, invoking a script the way this test did,
sh8_461_2sh&, still looks suspicious to me.
I was just trying to be helpful by pointing it out so we all can look at
it.

 >28. POSIX: section 3.9.5 Function Definition Command: sh_09 517:
 >       When a word expansion error occurs during a call to a function,
 >       then a non-interactive shell aborts. Redirection error shall not
 >       cause non-interactive shell to abort.
 >       Test: BUG: expects non-interactive shell to abort when redirection
 >       error is encountered.
 >       Bash: works.
 >       Type: 1
 >
 >This classification as a test bug doesn't match Chet's list, which says
 >the test works with bash-2.05.
>
 >I believe the test is correct, as the redirection is applied to a
 >special built-in command (eval), and according to POSIX and XCU it
 >should cause a non-interactive shell to abort in this case.

You are right.  Redirection error shall cause non-interactive shell to
abort, when applied to special built-in command.
I mis-understood the redirection was applied to function, which this
testcase is testing, and not the 'eval' command.

Andrew H. Pham
andpha@us.ibm.com
IBM Linux Technology Center
Voice:   (512)838-9473    T/L 678-9473