Re: Remaining Interfaces

Here're my comments regarding glibc.  Some functions are GNU
extensions - do we want to add them?

Andrew Josey <ajosey@rdg.opengroup.org> writes:

> Enclosed is a markup for these in SUSV2. I'd suggest all the
> ones marked SUSV2 be considered with the exception of
> those marked removed in SUSV3.

I agree, we should remove them.

> On Feb 28,  5:15pm in "Remaining Interfaces", Stuart Anderson wrote:
> >
> > All,
> > 	We scrubbed a lot of lingering interfaces at the meeting
> > this week. Attached is a short list of the remaining interfaces that
> > need to be cleaned up. I see a fgew that I think I know what to do about,
> > but I need everyone else to looks over this list, and let me know what
> > the disposition of the interface should be. (Included or Excluded), and
> > what the reference Specification should be.
> >
> > asprintf
GNU extension, see <stdio.h>

> > closelog   SUSV2
> > dprintf
GNU extension, see <stdio.h>

> > drem
<math.h>: comes from BSD 4.3.  Since drem and remainder are the same
AFAIK, we should not include drem.
> > encrypt   SUSV2
> > _errno
Internal glibc symbol, don't add it.

> > fstat   SUSV2
> > fts_children
> > fts_close
> > fts_open
> > fts_read
> > fts_set
man fts_children tells me:
     BSD 4.4. The fts utility is expected to be included in a future IEEE
     Std1003.1-1988 (``POSIX'') revision.
We can add all of these.

> > ftw   SUSV2
> > getchar_unlocked  SUSV2 (POSIX.1c)
> > getc_unlocked  SUSV2 (POSIX.1c)
> > getlogin SUSV2
> > gettimeofday SUSV2
> > glob   SUSV2
> > glob64
Should be added.
> > globfree   SUSV2
> > globfree64
Should be added
> > glob_pattern_p

GNU extension.
> > htonl  SUSV2
> > htons  SUSV2
> > ilogbf SUSV3 /c99
> > ilogbl SUSV3 /c99
> > inet_addr   SUSV2
> > inet_aton
>From BSD 4.3
> > inet_lnaof SUSV2 (removed in SUSV3)
> > inet_makeaddr SUSV2 (removed in SUSv3)
> > inet_netof SUSV2 (removed in SUSV3)
> > inet_network SUSV2 (removed in SUSV3)
I agree, let's remove those.

> > inet_ntoa  SUSV2
> > ioperm
> > iopl

ioperm and iopl are hardware specific <sys/io.h> has this:
/* If TURN_ON is TRUE, request for permission to do direct i/o on the
   port numbers in the range [FROM,FROM+NUM-1].  Otherwise, turn I/O
   permission off for that range.  This call requires root privileges.

   Portability note: not all Linux platforms support this call.  Most
   platforms based on the PC I/O architecture probably will, however.
   E.g., Linux/Alpha for Alpha PCs supports this.  */

Should we really add them?

> > j0f
> > j0l
> > j1f
> > j1l
> > jnf
> > jnl

These are extensions of j0,j1,jn - let's add them.

> > lockf SUSV2
> > _longjmp SUSV2
> > madvise   (probably a relation to posix_madvise based
> on the draft before the posix_ prefix was added)
> > mknod SUSV2
> > ntohl SUSV2
> > ntohs SUSV2
> > scandir
BSD 4.3, <dirent.h>
> > scandir64
If we add scandir, we should add also scandir64.

> > _setjmp SUSV2
> > ssignal
The comment says:
/* SVID names for the same things.  */
Let's remove it - we don't need duplicates

> > sysconf SUSV2
> > _sys_errlist

Mangle for sys_errlist, please add it.

> > tmpfile SUSV2
> > tmpnam SUSV2
> > tmpnam_r
Reentrant version of tmpnam - GNU extension.

> > ttyname SUSV2
> > ttyname_r SUSV2 (POSIX.1c)
> > uncompress
zlib?
> > vasprintf
> > vdprintf
both are GNU extension
> > zlibVersion
zlib?

Stuart, I can write some short manual entries as I did already.  Send
me a list of functions that you can't find yourself documentation to
and I'll write something up.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger