Re: [PROPOSAL] Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for normal Users

   Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:08:34 +0100
   From: Johannes Poehlmann <johannes@caldera.de>

   NEW
	   All normal users will be above the uid of 500.
	   All normal groups will be above the gid of 100.
	   No system required uid or gid is to be placed
	   above uid/gid 99 as
	   this may clash with real users imported via
	   NIS or LDAP from other Unix systems. The
	   uid range  100-499 is reserved for future use
	   to be prepared if some time in the future
	   99 system users could be not enough.

Let me raise a broader question.  Why is this in the LSB specification
at all?  It's good practice for the distributions to follow, no doubt,
but I don't think its within the scope of LSB, since how user groups are
chosen is generally a matter of local sysadmin policy, and is generally
irrelevant as far as application/distribution interoperability is
concerned.

If people want to keep this there as useful suggestions to
distributions, I suggest putting it in a (non-normative) rationale
section.

							- Ted