Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies andalien OS partitions.]

Gael Duval wrote:

> gk4@us.ibm.com a écrit :
> >
> > I think that any removable media (i.e. cdrom, dvd, zip, floppy) would be
> > classified as temporary, and they would be found in /mnt and not in the
> > /mounts directory.   The mount point /mnt/cdrom would be temporary and
> > never be a permanent /mount/cdrom mount point.  :-)
>
> I think that it's a good pragmatic criteria for differentiation.

In my mind what is meant by a temporary mount point is one that is not
dedicated to a particular device.

For instance an administrator mounts /dev/hdd to /mnt so that he can
back up a partition to it. The next day he mounts a USB zip disk that
usually is not attached to the system to do something else.

On the other hand mount points like /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom etc. are
more transient mount points. /mnt/floppy is more or less permanently
assigned to a certain /dev/fd*, its accessibility is what is temporary.

so I think:
/mnt      - temporary mount point for sysadmin use.
/mnt/*    - mount points for sysadmin use.
/mounts/* - transient mount points for user use.

Cheers,
Daniel Bradley