Re: Initscripts management proposal

aj@azure.humbug.org.au (Anthony Towns)  wrote on 19.02.00 in <20000219014630.A31342@azure.humbug.org.au>:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 11:35:28AM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> > Script names

> > 	2) Hierarchical namespace.  This namespace consists of scripts
> > 		names which look like this: <hier1>-<hier2>-...-<name>,
> > 		where name is again taken from [a-z0-9], and where
> > 		there may be one or more <hier-n> components.  <hier1>
> > 		may either be a [a-z0-9] name assigned by the LANA, or
> > 		it may be owners' DNS name in lower case, with at
> > 		least one '.'.  I.e., "debian.org",
> > "staroffice.sun.com", etc.
>
> I can't imagine Debian using this, fwiw. Registering a LANA name
> for the package, and using that would be much more likely. (As such,
> corel.com-wordperfect, or similar might be a better example)

I should mention here that the Debian run-parts utility (used in many *.d/
situations) will currently only run files with names from [-_a-zA-Z0-9]
exclusively. This is handy because most backup methods use either ~ or .
in names, and those backups thus get automatically excluded.

So this means allowing "." breaks a very convenient rule.

MfG Kai