Re: should not specify default group for users

> Both UNIX and Linux distributions alike are all over the place with respect
> to uid and gid groupings.   The LSB should not attempt to regulate the
> losing battle over the numeric range of uids and gids, but rather just
> specify the mnemonic user name and group name pairs.

We should specific the numeric range as below 100. Putting my vendor hat
on I can assure you that customers demand this already. having accidentally
strayed into the >=100 territory we got roasted for it and the customers
expected us to keep system uids below 100. This kind of assumption is also
compiled into tools like Apache (see suexec.c) and fits existing Unix
standards.

I agree everyone should by default be a member of group 'user'. Its valuable
for tools to tell a normal user from something system related.

I don't believe that should be their default group neccessarily (although
I have no problem with people doing that).

As to the permissions problem. An administrator should be used to creating
files with 077 netmask. The 022 netmasks and group read facilities are
the legacies of a happy academic world that quite simply no longer exists.
We can have that debate if you wish but I would submit whoever is correct
documenting it in the standard in either form when both are allowed (which
I think we agree must be the case) serves no purpose for people writing
compliant applications.