Re: Thread deficiencies

   Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 21:52:04 -0500
   From: Jim Knoble <jmknoble@pobox.com>

   Perhaps i'm misremembering, but i was under the impression that the
   consensus at the LSB spec meeting in New York last month was the
   following:

     (1) Specify clone(), in particular because it's used by Apache.

There was some disagreement about this, in particular because it might
cause heartburn for certain Linux emulators (i.e., SCO, NetBSD, etc.).
I personally don't think that making it hard for non-Linux systems that
are trying to emulate Linux so that they can run LSB application is
*our* problem, but there were some people that did have this concern.

This might have been partially addressed by the proposal that we specify
clone() with a specific (limited) flags combination (to be determined
later).

     (2) Put pthreads in an `annex' to the spec, with descriptions of how
	 it differs from POSIX.4 (i.e., doesn't work).

For the short term, yes.  There was however a strong feeling that a
number of applications *will* want to use POSIX.4, and so saying that
such apps couldn't be LSB compliant might not necessarily be the right
thing either.

							- Ted