Re: Thread deficiencies

>Since the implementation of pthreads is not likely in the time frame of
the LSB specification,
>then a compromise might be to standardize on the pthreads API's except for
the POSIX
>signalling behaviour.   The specification could say that POSIX signalling
is preferred; however,
>"clone" would be temporarily allowed until the next revision of the LSB
specification.

Let me be more clear.   I would like to suggest that the Linux threads be
"waivered" until POSIX threads are implemented and tested...   The goal
would be to have POSIX threads for UNIX portability and GNU/Linux
emulation; however, it would be difficult for a specification to require
something that is not yet implemented.   The OMG requires at least two
implementations for a standard...

Currently it should be possible to run Sun's StarOffice 5.1 which uses
"clone" on Caldera, Redhat, SuSE, and TurboLinux, because they all are
GNU/Linux systems; however, what happens when Debian releases a GNU/Hurd
system?   Also, Intel UNIX systems like SCO, Solaris, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and
NetBSD have a GNU/Linux emulation mode, and it is possible to run NetScape
and WordPerfect with a proper sandbox of GNU (ie., LSB) libraries; however,
it would not be possible to run Linux threaded applications like
StarOffice.  Pthreads provide the portability and runtime compatibility
between GNU systems with potentially different kernels.

George Kraft IV
gk4@us.ibm.com
512-838-2688; t/l 678-2688
Linux Technology Center