Re: Some updates to the sysvinit/initactions spec

Hi,

On 18 Dec 2000, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> John Mullee <john.mullee@chello.be> writes:
>
> > > This seems reasonable to me, although it's a change from what the
> > > SysVinit package does.  Comments?
> >
> > personally I'd prefer to see /etc contain only files that change when config
> > changes are made. Executables (including scripts) might rather be immutable,
> > and be placed somewhere amenable to read-only mounting;
> > somewhere like /lib/lsb, /lib/lsbinit, /sbin/lsbinit, or somesuch.
> > Perhaps /etc might contain symlinks to 'real' scripts, for convenient
> > replacement..
>
> /etc/init.d and /etc/rc.d/init.d has been used by most distributions
> for years now - and /etc/init.d is also used by Solaris
>
> Changing for the purpose of changing is bad... IMHO, the LSB should
> seek to standardize current behaviour not redesign everything. That
> way lies pain.

Exactly - please do not discuss this issue over and over again - we have
just moved all scripts from /sbin/init.d to /etc/init.d to comply with the
spec - we are not going to do this again any time soon :)

It is about time to let things defined in the spec settle down a bit, so
distributors can start implementing it without having to fear, that
everything will be altered again.

	LenZ
 Lenz Grimmer                                           SuSE GmbH
 mailto:grimmer@suse.de                       Schanzaeckerstr. 10
 http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/            90443 Nuernberg, Germany
            Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.