Re: Some updates to the sysvinit/initactions spec

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:19:05 -0500
> From: tytso@mit.edu
> To: venom@cibs9.sns.it
> Cc: kukuk@suse.de, lsb-spec@lists.linuxbase.org
> Subject: Re: Some updates to the sysvinit/initactions spec
>
>    Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:03:25 +0100 (CET)
>    From: V man <venom@cibs9.sns.it>
>
>    > No one has commented, so I'll offer a few suggestions:
>    >
>    > /lib/lsb/init-functions
>    > /etc/init.d/lsb-init-functions
>    > /etc/lsb-init-functions
>    >
>    > If no one comments, I'll choose /lib/lsb/init-functions.  That seems to
>    > make the most amount of sense.
>
>    my first choice would be /etc/lsb/init-functions, this makes sense to me,
>    and has a good taste to my mouth :),
>
> Well, /etc is generally for configuration files, and init-functions
> is definitely not a config file, so.....

exactly, /etc
is GENERALLY for configuration file, or for what is related to
configurations.
init-functions is definitely related to config files...

ok, you are right, but
try to see this from a sysadmin point of view.
somehow sysadmins will have to study all this stuff, and i saw, (talking
with 7 sysadmins, without saying why i was asking this), that
to their mentality it was easier to figure out /etc/lsb
with inside also init-functions.

apart of this, this location made sense to me, but if
there are good reasons not to use it, i know my arguments are just a
matter of taste (like yours, if we come to an end).

Luigi Genoni