Re: [PROPOSAL] Chapter 15. Users & Groups: minimal UID for normal Users

----- Original Message -----
From: George Kraft <gk4@us.ibm.com>
To: Johannes Poehlmann <johannes@caldera.de>
Cc: <lsb-spec@lists.linuxbase.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 12:18
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Chapter 15. Users & Groups: minimal UID for normal
Users

> >I propose to change the following paragraph of Chapter 15. Users &
Groups:

> When I originally wrote the chapter, there was strong opposition to
> specifying any actual user and group numbers except for root.
> Applications should be using the mnemonic names; therefore, the short
> values for users and groups is a system admin issue that the LSB would not
> address at this time.

On a non-networked system this is true -- create pseudo-users
and pseudo-groups as needed and use their symbolic names.

Once networked systems come into play and user ID and group
ID values must exist across shared filesystems, and in the clustered
system case, shared CPUs, having a space in which to reserve
(hopefully) common user ID and group ID values becomes more
important.

Of course, this is also an argument for network identification
schemes, such as LDAP and NIS, but for systems where the
burden of LDAP or NIS is unacceptable (and that's not a decision
for anyone but the system administrator to make), having a
reserved space is needed to make this possible.

-- Julie.