Re: Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for normal Users

Johannes Poehlmann wrote:

> Chapter 15. Users & Groups is not decided on the minimal value for UIDs/GIDs:
>
>         All normal users and normal user groups will
>         be above the uid/gid of 100. No system required
>         uid or gid is to be placed above uid/gid 99 as
>         this may clash with real users imported via
>         NIS or LDAP from other Unix systems. (FIXME:
>         What about Red Hat's use of 500 for this? Do
>         other Linux distributions all use 100? Is there
>         another standard we can reference which contains
>         the 100 rule?)
>
> Checking some Linuxes I realized that more Distributions avoid UID´s <500
> for normal users. This is good becauset some time in the future 99 system
> users could be not enough.
>
>         I think, we should recommend or even require the UID range
>         of 101 to 499 to reserved for future assignment by the
>         Linux Standard Base.
This makes sense.  Linux should be forward thinking but can't break
compatibilty with other operating systems (several of my user
accounts were created in '93 on Sun OS 4.1.3 and SCO, they use 200...).

Also, the value for the users group is 100....