Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.]

On Wed, Jun 21, Jim Knoble wrote:

> I still have two philosophical problems with the proposal as revised:
>
>   (1) As Brian Kimball points out, and as i have pointed out
>       previously, /mnt/{cdrom,floppy} is already accepted practice by a
>       large number of Linux systems, many of which are mainstream
>       distributions.

You forgot 2 things:

1. /cdrom is also already accepted practice by a large number of
   Linux systems, many of the distributions are much older then RedHat
   and co.

2. We don't speak about Linux, we speak about an FHS proposal. (Look
   at the subject.
   FHS is for all Unix systems, not only Linux. And the /use of /mnt
   as a temporary mount point is more widespeard as the practice of
   /mnt/{floppy,cdrom}. Speak with one who uses Solaris, AIX, HP-UX
   or whatever.

>   (2) To my knowledge, use of /mnt/ as a temporary mount point is not
>       nearly as widespread as the practice of /mnt/{cdrom,floppy}.  If

Your knowledge is wrong.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg