Re: PROPOSAL: command line for LSB package program

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Anyway, would we adopt a subset of the rpm(8) command set because it
> > accurately describes the functionality we want in lsb-install or would
> > we adopt a subset of the RPM command set because lsb-install will just
> > be a link or front-end to rpm(8) on RPM-based systems?
>
> I would hope because it gives us obvious common commands that we will need. We
> could equally look at apt for the same ideas.
>
> Adopting it assuming it will be just a link to rpm might be a technical answer
> but it isnt in the spirit with which the LSB was intended IMHO

Well, it is partially... as a matter of standardization practice one
should not invent unnecessarily.  Our standardization of
/usr/sbin/sendmail as a generic MTA interface is one example -- it may
indeed be just sendmail, but might just as well be qmail, smail, zmail
or God only knows what.

Why did we do it?  Because it was by far the most widely used MTA
interface, and it made a lot more sense than inventing something new.

	-hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt