Re: PROPOSAL: command line for LSB package program

Previously Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Commands:
>   install - install new packages, arguments are package files

>   check   - check packages (md5 checksums, etc.)

dpkg right now has no way to do this..

>   list    - list all installed packages if no arguments, arguments are
>             package names

Any preferred layout?

>   info    - return package info

What information? In what format?

>   extract - extract contents into current dir if no arguments, argument
>             is extraction directory

Any guarantees that this will be done safely in case if trojan packages?
This can be nasty, if you consider a tar-file like this:

  lrwxrwxrwx   something -> /etc/passwd
  -rw-r--r--   something

If you extract that with a standard tar (the latest GNU tar is safe) this
will happily overwrite /etc/passwd. If you have the recent GNU tar dpkg
will be safe since it calls tar, I don't know how rpm handles that.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |