SCO's uname(1) man page

Here's SCO's UnixWare 7 uname(1) man page.  It's as straightforward
a description of the uname keyword feature we added as part of our
work making UW7 out of UW2 and OpenServer 5.  Sorry about the wide
table below.

Dave Prosser dfp@sco.com (908)790-2358 Rm A332, SCO, Murray Hill, NJ

                                   uname(1)

   uname -- print current system parameters

Synopsis

   uname [-f]
   uname parameter_name

   uname -a
   uname -Acdilmnprsv
   uname -S hostname

Description

   The uname command prints the current values of system parameters to
   standard output.

   The first two command lines above are new for UnixWare 7 and show the
   standard options for future releases of UnixWare. The other command
   lines are supported for compatibility only. They are discussed under
   Compatibility options.

   uname with no arguments prints the value of the sysname parameter (see
   below), which is the same as the value reported by the legacy -s
   option.

   uname -f prints all parameter names, one per line, each followed by an
   equal sign and the parameter's current value.

   uname parameter_name prints only the value of parameter_name, with no
   parameter name or equal sign.

Parameters

   The following table lists the possible values for each parameter_name
   argument.

            | parameter_name|       Values     |  Legacy Option|
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | architecture  |  IA32            |  --           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | bus_types     |  comma list of:  |  --           |
            |               |  EISA            |               |
            |               |  ISA             |               |
            |               |  MCA             |               |
            |               |  PCIm.n          |               |
            |               |  PnPm.n          |               |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | hostname      |  fully-qualified |  -n           |
            |               |  hostname        |               |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | hw_provider   |  Generic AT      |  -c           |
            |               |  Generic MP      |  -p           |
            |               |  Compaq Proliant |               |
            |               |  Compaq SystemPro|               |
            |               |  DG NUMALiiNE    |               |
            |               |  oem product     |               |
            |               |  ...             |               |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | hw_serial     |  hardware serial#|  -i           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | kernel_stamp  |  yy/mm/dd        |  --           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | machine       |  486             |  -m           |
            |               |  Pentium         |               |
            |               |  Pentium Pro     |               |
            |               |  Pentium II      |               |
            |               |  5x86            |               |
            |               |  6x86            |               |
            |               |  Am5x86          |               |
            |               |  AMD-K5          |               |
            |               |  AMD-K6          |               |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | num_cg        |  #CGs            |  --           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | num_cpu       |  #CPUs           |  --           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | os_base       |  UNIX_SVR5       |  --           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | os_provider   |  SCO             |  --           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | release       |  5               |  -r           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | srpc_domain   |  --              |  -d           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | sysname       |  UnixWare        |  -s           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | user_limit    |  #users          |  -A           |
            |               |  unlimited       |  -l           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|
            | version       |  99.123          |  -v           |
            |---------------|------------------|---------------|

   Use the setuname(1M) command to set the hostname or sysname parameter
   values.

Compatibility options

   -a
          Prints the values of the parameters printed by -s, -n, -r, -v,
          -m, -p, and the os_provider and os_base parameters (in that
          order). The hostname printed is not the fully-qualified
          hostname returned by uname hostname, but only that part of the
          hostname up to the first period (``.'').
   -A
          Prints the current user limit.
   -c
          Print the current host's processor type.
   -d
          Print the srpc_domain parameter.
   -i
          Print the current host's hardware serial number.
   -l
          Prints the current user limit.
   -m
          Print the machine hardware name.
   -n
          Print the hostname (formerly also known as the ``node name'');
          that is, the first part (up to the first "." character) of the
          hostname parameter.
   -p
          Print the current host's processor type.
   -r
          Print the operating system release.
   -s
          Print the name of this implementation of the operating system.
   -v
          Print the operating system version.
   -S
          Sets the system's hostname parameter to hostname. hostname is
          restricted to SYS_NMLN characters [see limits(4)]. Only a
          privileged user is allowed this capability.
          Be aware that if you change hostname, other software may break
          unexpectedly; so, it is good practice not to change hostname
          once it is set. For example, networking software and
          application packages may save the hostname of your system at
          the time the package is installed. Therefore, each time you
          change the hostname, you need to locate all the files where it
          has been saved and change its value.
          You will also need to notify the administrators of other
          machines on the network of your machine's new host name.

   The LC_CTYPE environment variable determines the processing of the
   output data. [See LANG on environ(5).]

Files

   /etc/nodename
   /etc/systemid
   /usr/lib/locale/locale/LC_MESSAGES/uxcore.abi
          language-specific message file [See LANG on environ(5).]

Compatibility notes

   The environment variable SCOMPAT allows you to override the default
   values (see ''Parameters'') for the sysname, release, and version
   parameters, to maintain compatibility with scripts intended for
   earlier releases.

   The syntax of the SCOMPAT variable is:
   release:version[:sysname[:Xrelease]]

   The first three values override the corresponding uname
   parameter_name. The final parameter (Xrelease), is intended for
   compatibility with scripts using the undocumented legacy -X Release
   option.

   The following table shows the default and override values for each
   legacy option.

| parameter_name|  legacy option|  UnixWare 7 value|  SCO OpenServer value|  SCO UnixWare 2.1.1 value|
| release       |       -r      |         5        |          3.2         |4.2MP                     |
| version       |       -v      |       99.123     |           2          |2.x                       |
| sysname       |       -s      |      UnixWare    |         SCO_SV       |UNIX_SV                   |
| --            |   -X Release  |         5        |       3.2v5.0.x      |4.2MP                     |