Re: PROPOSAL: a common menu system.

Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> > I think to have a common menu system for applications between
> > desktop/window managers is highly important for the end user. I know
> > Gnome/Kde are agree to have the same .desktop format, but what about
> > the other window manager ? and what about the groups (nothing yet is
> > standardized).
>
> Good idea.
>

> > We here at Mandrake we have switched (from 7.1) to the GNU/Debian
> > menu system, the menu system has the ability to act as ''backend'. For
> > example i have an application with a menu entry in /usr/lib/menu/gimp,
> > say :
>
> We have a similar application (susewm), which is doing the same.
>
> > ?package(gimp): \
> > command="gimp" \
> > icon="wilbur.xpm" \
> > section="Multimedia/Graphics" \
> > title="The GIMP" longtitle="The GNU Image Manipulation Program" \
> > needs="x11"
>
> We are using .kdelnk/.desktop files for input, so the user is able to create
> new entrys easily. So the user can copy an usual .kdelnk/.desktop file to the
> estimated directory below /etc/X11/susewm/Entrys. Since the format of these
> files is expandable it is possible to extend the information
> (for example: show this entry only on enlightenment).
> the susewm is using also a one file database to improve the speed.
>
> When you not agree to use .kdelnk/.desktop files, we will add this
> format to our tool. But it makes more sense to use .kdelnk/.desktop for me.

I think it's  an error to use  files of an existant tool  (KDE in this
case) to implement  the menu system because you  cannot manipulate the
files globally.  For example, you cannot choose globally to not show a
sub hierarchy or to translate the hierarchy of sections...
--
Fred - May the source be with you