Re: Package System specification

> vendors can say "Our product will run on any LSB 1.x system...", then doesn't
> that accomplish the goal?  Using RPM will lock vendors and end users into
> it, even if there are third party conversion utilities and so forth.

Only into the binary package format, which is

1.	a cpio archive of the binaries

	Well we need this anyway

2.	install/remove scripts

	We need these too

3.	Permission data & file types

	Obviously essential

4.	Descriptions/license info

	Clearly importat

5.	Dependancy data

	Necessary for any real setup to protect the users from errors

6.	Cryptographic Signatures

	Critical

So I dont see anything in there locking people into the RPM tools or into
the rpm format. You can put an rpm together without usign rpm . Alien has
already demonstrated the file format is convertable.