Re: should not specify default group for users

>So what does group "users" give you that the "o" bits don't?

 The "o" bit is for those being excluded from the "users" member group or
the individual "gk4" ownership.   A file is only owned by one person and in
one group.   If all of my files are in my own personal "gk4" group, then I
reduce the file access functionality that I would have had with group
"users".

% touch foo
% chmod 006 foo
% date > foo

George Kraft IV
gk4@us.ibm.com
512-838-2688; t/l 678-2688
IBM Linux Technology Center & Linux Standards

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com> on 03/22/2000 12:56:40 PM