Re: should not specify default group for users

>Debian uses 002 and the "what a waste" user method. Having only lived in
>this environment, I don't see the advantages of the 022 system. Aside from
>"wasting" a, sometimes large, number of groups, why is 022 "superior"?

Dale,

Being in group "users" allows me to turn on and off the group bits without
bothering the system admin.   Being in my own group "gk4" requires that I
contact the system admin to add people to my group "gk4" to create a
mediated group access list.   Umask 022 versus 002 is implied by being in
group "users" or group "gk4" respectively.

The question is, do we want to specify users/022 for scripts, pre-install,
and post-install?   If not, then delete it from the LSB specification;
otherwise, we need to take a stand on one or the other and I contend that
users/022 is the norm.  :-)

Cheers,

George Kraft IV
gk4@us.ibm.com
512-838-2688; t/l 678-2688
IBM Linux Technology Center & Linux Standards