Re: Users & Groups specification proposal, draft 1

> I'm not sure what the LSB process is, but this past January I posted a
> proposal for the Users & Groups section of the LSB specification.  Are
> there any formal acceptance criteria that I need to meet before I
> begin SGML/SQL coding what I posted?

The process is roughly that you just go ahead and check it in
(especially if the text has already gone through the lsb-spec mailing
list), and we worry about formalities later in the process.

A few quick reactions (again, this is to
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/lsb-spec-0001/msg00056.html
):

* What's the purpose of standardizing /etc/passwd and /etc/group?  Is
  the intent to provide a way for creating/modifying accounts?  Surely
  we want something which is more general (e.g. shadow,
  /etc/nsswitch.conf, LDAP, NIS, &c)?  We have useradd, groupadd,
  &c....  Presumably I just misunderstand the intent here.

* The text 'The "group" user database should only be read from
  the following APIs' should also allow PAM (PAM might be implemented
  by calling those API's, but we need to say that applications can
  asume that PAM is doing an OK thing).  Likewise for passwords.

* What do SSM, URM, PRM, and RPM stand for?  Other standards, it
  sounds like, but is there a more complete cite anywhere?

* Why do you omit "newgrp" from the LSB?  There is a comment there
  about chgrp but I don't see what newgrp and chgrp have to do with
  each other.

* Why standardize rpc.rusersd, rusers, and rwho?

In general this looks about right, though.