Re: Thread deficiencies

> However, do the credential *users* even check the global kernel lock
> (probably not?)  The values are small enough -- even with 32-bit uids --

Most of them don't want this lock.

> I think if it was only uid and gid, we probably could structure the
> readout points so that they don't need locking by virtue of the small
> datum size.  However, the list of auxilliary groups is another matter
> entirely.  I need to look at how that is handled now, but I won't get a
> chance to do that properly until I return to work (Jan 12, 2000.)

You can't fix it for uid and gid even when they go 32bit. See uid, euid, suid
change together atomically as a group (as does fsuid and the credential bits
on Linux). Its way to big to play those kind of games with. ATOMIC_FOO() is
also quite slow on some platforms.

Alan