Re: Thread deficiencies

   From: gk4@us.ibm.com
   Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:32:23 -0600

   Since the implementation of pthreads is not likely in the time frame of the
   LSB specification, then a compromise might be to standardize on the
   pthreads API's except for the POSIX signalling behaviour.   The
   specification could say that POSIX signalling is preferred; however,
   "clone" would be temporarily allowed until the next revision of the LSB
   specification.

That's apparently not good enough.  We'd also have to specify that
wait() doesn't work as specified by POSIX threads, either.  Other items
which don't work per POSIX threads on other systems (like resource
limits, aren't part of POSIX so we can weasel out of that one).

And we should at least mention to developers that if they have shell
scripts that depend on running "ps" to look for the process (to send it
a kill signal, for example) that doesn't quite work right under Linux
either.

						- Ted