Re: /usr/sbin/sendmail specification proposal, draft 4

Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Draft 4.
>
> Changes:
>
>    * extended first paragraph of description (please read)
>    * description recommends using sendmail with as few flags as possible
>    * in -bs mode, \r is discarded when before \n
>
> One question is whether we should allow LSB compliant applications to
> use SMTP/IMAP/POP instead of /usr/sbin/sendmail (when /usr/sbin/sendmail
> is present).  Since some existing applications such as Netscape
> Navigator seem to avoid sendmail entirely (using SMTP, POP, or IMAP
> instead), it seems sensible to allow these and other internet email
> protocols as an option for LSB applications.

SMTP is really the only option that matters... POP and IMAP solve a very
different problem (mailbox access).  I think SMTP delivery to the
localhost SMTP port should be permitted as a matter of course (this
basically means that sendmail should be set up to have relay permission
on the localhost address; I believe this is standard for obvious
reasons.)

	-hpa