Re: PROPOSAL: init file actions (draft 3)

Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> writes:
>
> > These [exit codes for init files] should not overlap.
>
> I agree.  Unfortunately, they do overlap in the existing Red Hat
> implementation of the "status" action (which probably extends to
> distributions based on Red Hat).
>
> Exit codes 0-3 are currently used for the "status" action.
>
> Exit codes 0-1 are currently used for other actions.
>
> The main question is whether we should follow existing practice (stick
> with the current draft) or change it (don't overlap).
>
> The other option is to not specify the "status" action and create a new
> action to eventually replace it.

Well, exit code 0 for success is standard pretty much anywhere, even if
it overlaps.  What do they have for 0-1 or 0-3?

There is also the option of macroizing the exit codes, although that can
get really ugly.

I also believe that the codes in <sysexits.h> should be sacrosanct.
There is probably something to be said for standardizing those.

	-hpa