Re: LSB specification for adding users and groups

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> While I'm not yet convinced we need to specify numeric values; if we do,
> we should choose a good existing solution as a starting point and
> incrementally approach perfection from there. The only time we need to be
> concerned with the overal acceptance of a specification is if it is weak
> or unnecessary.

That's fine, but migration is going to be extremely difficult. I can't think
of a good way of migrating existing machines to LSB dictated uids and gids.
This is obviosuly pretty trivial for new installs though, and perhaps we
should make them "suggested for new installations" and not a required part
of the spec?

Erik

|       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
|          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
|   Linux Application Development  --  http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad    |