Re: LSB specification for adding users and groups

Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> writes:

> That could be a problem... We need to figure out how to migrate
> distributions to that uid/gid scheme then, and I'm afraid that's
> going to be almost impossible to get everyone to agree on.

We can do several things to work around this problem.

1. The LSB user/group specification can allow distributions to configure
   uid/gid ranges in a configuration file (or leave the selection up to
   the distribution if they don't use our implementation)

2. You can map uid/gid with NFS.  Someone else mentioned this.

3. We can publish a suggested convention for uids and gids outside of the
   spec.  If distributions transition to it it, great.  If not, you have
   to do uid/gid mapping or sites have to solve it some other way.

I actually examined every major distribution (at the time) several years
ago (1995!) and starting writing a suggested convention for uid and gid
numbers, but ever actually finished it.  Debian has something similar
nowadays in their policy.

Dan