Re: lib lists

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 14, Erik Troan wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Stuart Anderson wrote:
>
> > libstdc++ probably should be in our list if we manage to get C++ defined
> > at all. We have to visit name mangling rules and .init/.fini behavior though.
> > It would be difficult to disallow C++ though.
>
> That's going to be quite difficult, as it's going to force us to update the
> LSB for each new C compiler. That doesn't sound like fun :-9
>
> > libz seems like it should be in.
> > libext2fs shows up a few times, but it doesn't seem like a general purpose
> > library that we need to include.
> > libnsl contains yp routines. Are that many programs actually using that API?

Yes, a lot of programs uses for example yp_get_default_domain() for getting
the domainname, and not getdomainname() as they should. And libnsl doesn't
only include the NIS API (which is needed for example by PAM for changing
NIS passwords), it also includes the NIS+ API and should include TI-RPC
over Sockets in one of the next glibc releases.

> > libXmu should be added to the list of graphics libs.
>
> I agree (and libnsl shouldbe left out).

I doubt that it makes sense to include libz (which is used by a
few user applications) and not libnsl (which is used by a few
system utilities).

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk      http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg