RE: PROPOSAL: init file actions (draft 2)

Thomas Tanner <tanner@ffii.org> writes:

> Are init scripts part of the configuration or are they treated as
> usual binary programs, i.e. can they be removed and overwritten
> without warning?
>
> Debian seems to store some configuration parameters in the init
> scripts while other Distributions (IIRC SuSE) use separate
> configuration files and don't require any modifications of the init
> scripts.  I think the latter is more reasonable and cleaner.

I was leaning towards leaving it up to the distribution unless we come
up with a good reason to require one way or the other.

It might be difficult to allow configuration of everything someone
might ever want or need to configure in the init script.  On the other
hand, a separate configuration file is cleaner.

- Dan