Re: specification for adding users and groups

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> [ I am Cc-ing lsb-discuss, but if you're interested in any of the
>   specification details, you should really join the lsb-spec list. ]
>
> One of the items on the list of things that needs to be specified is a
> standard way for LSB applications to add (and remove?) users and groups
> to an LSB system.  Before I seek a volunteer for working on the
> specification, is there agreement that this is needed?  Will some
> applications need to add users and groups?  Can we solve the problem in
> a way that makes sense (even on a large network)?

The TETWare based POSIX test suite from TOG wants to have 4 specific users
created when it installs, each with their own unique group (not the user
name). The Debian adduser utility normally creates each new user as the
sole member of a new group with the same name as the user. Although you
can specify tha group name for this new user, or add the new user to
another group. The complications created are not yet clear to me. On the
one hand, I can create only the user names and group names needed by test
suite, leaving out the Debian defaults for the user's group; or I can
create a standard Debian user, and add them to the group specified by the
test suite. This adds an additional, superfluous, and possibly
conflicting, group name to the mix of groups under test. I don't have
enought close experience with the test suite to know how it would be
effected by these differences. I _is_ on my agenda.

Waiting is,

Dwarf