Re: /usr/sbin/sendmail specification proposal, draft 4

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > I think SMTP delivery to the localhost SMTP port should be permitted
> > as a matter of course (this basically means that sendmail should be
> > set up to have relay permission on the localhost address; I believe
> > this is standard for obvious reasons.)
>
> I disagree. I don't see why we should enforce people to open up a local
> SMTP port. It's not even a standard option for most MTAs do that.

Pardon?  Most MTAs listen on *:smtp... however, the problem is that some
widely used programs, such as Netscape, that are written to be
multiplatform speak SMTP directly rather than dealing with
system-specific stuff.  Yes, it's kind of bogus, but it's still true.

	-hpa