Re: LSB specification for adding users and groups

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> The major problem I see is re-mapping users to their new ids, and
> re-mapping the id numbers on every file in the file system to the new ID
> scheme. Isn't this the same problem that currently exists between NSF
> mounts on machines with different numberins schemes? The fact that this
> would, for the most part, remove some of these major problems in these
> side areas, and the benefits may outway the work of conversion.

It may, but I'd like to see how.

> Can you be more specific about where you see the "hard" part of this
> migration? I admit to being less than aware of all the details involved,
> and only have a vague idea of the ramifications.

Having to do a find and chown() across the entire system would take a
noticeable amount of time, and I don't want to start doing that unless
there is a real benefit to doing so. I'd love to know how debian has handled
uid changes in the past.

Erik

|       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
|          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
|   Linux Application Development  --  http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad    |