standard path for fonts

H Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> writes:

> One of the things I believe is urgently needed is a standard path
> where fonts (PostScript, Truetype, etc.) can be stored.  Right now
> each font-using app is storing both the fonts and the indicies in
> different places.

Which applications distribute their own fonts?  Which applications
could share one or more font-types with other applications?  Write a
specification proposal.

Also, would we only address this for only LSB applications or would
you want to address *all* software on the system (under /usr/share).

The TeX Directory Structure document may be helpful.

  ftp://ctan.tug.org/tex/tds/

At this point, I wouldn't characterize this problem as an application
portability killer, but it's worth looking into.

Dan