REQUIREMENTS: LSB rc script installer (draft 2)
I tried to incorporate all of the comments posted to lsb-spec. Some
of the comments (especially regarding grouping of dependencies and rc
files) were a little ahead of where I am, but I tried to modify the
requirements list in a way to avoid limiting the design of the system.
Please let me know if you have any comments.
Must provide interoperability between distributions for an
application installing rc scripts. ISVs should never need to know
the boot script order or worry about distribution differences.
1. start sequence ordering that is based on names, not numbers
2. must be extensible
3. rc files are run, not sourced
4. well-defined standard runlevels, including at least one
user-defined one, and installed programs can default to being
on/off in that user-defined runlevel
5. internationalization (how does this affect rc files?)
6. define standard run level mappings (1 = halt, etc.)
7. logging requirements for rc scripts
8. actions that scripts must support
9. stdout/stderr format that scripts must use
10. easy to administer and use
11. if 6 runlevels aren't enough, more need to be supported