Re: shells present on an LSB system

H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> writes:

> I think the right thing is to specify something like this:
>
> /bin/sh		MUST be present; SHALL be POSIX.2 conforming
> 		Shells specifically approved include: bash, ksh, ash?

I wonder if any shell other than bash will completely work in most
distributions as /bin/sh.

> /bin/csh	IF present, MUST be compatible (bugs excepted) with
> 		the BSD C-shell.  tcsh is specifically allowed.
>
> /bin/ksh	IF present, MUST match the Korn Shell specification
> 		pdksh and ksh93 are specifically allowed.

Is pdksh completely compatible with the original ksh?

> /bin/bash	IF present, MUST be the Bourne Again Shell from the
> 		Free Software Foundation or a fully compatible
> 		program.
>
> /bin/tcsh	IF present, MUST be tcsh 6 or later from Cornell
> 		University or a fully compatible program.

I think we stop caring after this point.  tcsh is no longer from
Cornell, btw.  It's ftp.deshaw.com.

> /bin/zsh	IF present, MUST be zsh ..?.. or a fully compatible
> 		program.
>
> /bin/ash	IF present, MUST be ash from BSD ...?... or a fully
> 		compatible program.
>
> Any more shell names that should be reserved?

Some names are already reserved in FHS.  This stuff probably belongs
there.

> As a general rule, shells should live in /bin or have symlinks from
> /bin.

Done in FHS, except for things like Perl and Tcl.

- Dan