Re: Feedback on Working With LFS-Based SI

On 03-Jun-2002 Marvin Heffler wrote:
> I started working with the LFS-based sample implementation a couple of
> weeks ago and would like to share some of things I found to see if others
> have seen the same thing or to find out what I did wrong. Here's what I
> found.
>
> 1. Originally I worked with the manual process documented on the Linux From
> Scratch web site. One of the beginning instructions tells you to create a
> separate filesystem for the build and to mount it at /mnt/lfs. This causes
> a problem with the multi-phase build of the SI because at some point it
> tries to move /mnt/lfs to /mnt/lfs-harness. This produces a failure saying
> /mnt/lfs cannot be removed since it is currently being used. The basic
> problem is you cannot move a directory when it is the mount point for a
> mounted filesystem. To get around this problem I simply mounted the
> separate filesystem at /mnt. There may be other ways to fix this, such as
> mounting the filesystem at /mnt/si and then modifying the xml files to use
> /mnt/si/lfs instead of /mnt/lfs.

The xml files in my si assume directories (which can be on another file system
I presume).  It then uses a 2.4 kernel feature which allows you to "mount" a
directory onto another directory.

> 2. The next problem I ran into was when it came time to build dummy-mta.
> The src/si/entities/package is looking for the dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz file,
> but the pub/lsb/impl/lfs-si-update-20020508.tar.gz file has
> dummy-mta-1.1.tar.gz. This mismatch causes the build to fail. Apparently
> someone else figured this out because now there is a dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz
> file in the pub/lsb/impl directory. Since this was not available when I
> doing my testing I worked around the problem by extracting the
> dummy-mta-1.1.tar.gz file, changing the directory name from dummy-mta-1.1
> to dummy-mta-1.2, and then creating a new dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz file. This
> got me by the problem, but it didn't solve everything as demonstrated by my
> next item.
>
> 3. After creating the dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz file things went much further in
> the build, but after two hours and thirty-five minutes it failed again when
> trying to do "make install" on the dummy-mta-1.2 package. The makefile is
> very simple only putting a sendmail file in /usr/sbin and then making a
> symbolic link to /usr/lib/sendmail. This works fine in one of the earlier
> phases, but it fails in the last phase because the sym link was already
> there. To fix this problem I edited the makefile in dummy-mta-1.2 to use
> "ln -sf" instead of "ln -s". After making this fix I was able to complete
> building the si.

the reason for 1.2 was to add a DESTDIR option to the makefile.  It should be
on the ftp site now.

> 4. After having the si completely built, I next tested to see if all the
> commands listed in the LSB spec were in the si. The only one I found
> missing was /usr/bin/lsb_release. To resolve this I copied the
> /usr/bin/lsb_release and /etc/lsb-release files from my Red Hat 7.3 system
> to the si.

Correct, i have not created this file yet.  Keep meaning to add it to the TODO.
 Thanks for the reminder.

> 5. Next I ran lsblibchk on the si to see if all the libraries were there.
> It reported all the X11 libraries as missing. I seem to remember someone
> saying this was a known problem and was being worked on.

correct.

> 6. The other general question I have is how to restart nALFS so it can
> continue the build. When I was testing and ran into the problems described
> above, each time I deleted everything in /mnt/lfs and started over. It
> seems to me there must be some way to resolve the immediate problem and
> pick up where nALFS left off. I would appreciate it if someone could tell
> me if this is possible and how to do it.

The problem lies in nALFS.  It expects to follow the recipe and gets confused
if you "jump" a step.  Fixing this will require some work.