RE: Testing of lsbdev and sample implementation

Wichmann, Mats D writes:

> However, here's a question:  can an LSB application call
> out to a non-LSB application "legally"?  While it's doing
> so, /that/ usage isn't LSB-conforming, but does that make
> the application itself unable to be used as an LSB application?

I think this case brings up a problem we'll need to consider. Is an
application not LSB compliant if it _could_ use a non-LSB compliant
interface/command or if its only not compliant if it _requires_ a non
compliant interface/command. rsync falls into this category as is
doesn't need ssh/rsh (and many people use it this way), but can use it
if an rsync server is not on the remote machine.

> And... are there any plans for a dynamic application checker
> that could alert one to such issues, since a static checker
> can't find this sort of problem - it's not known until runtime
> which external program will be launched, since that's

In practice I this sort of dynamic checker is very hard to do at all,
let alone in a reliable fashion. There's no way that every code path
can be tested. For this part of compliance its going to come down to a
check list that the ISV signs off on.

Chris
--
cyeoh@au.ibm.com