Re: Test implementation?

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 08:59:27AM +0200, Ralf Flaxa wrote:

> As I am "officially leading" the LSB implementation team let me explain
> you where we currently are and what the next steps will be.

Thanks!

> o We compiled a list of things, that need to be done/written. I am still
>   working on that but I hope to post this to this list by the end of this
>   week, at least before I start traveling and meeting with them.

Ok.

>   1. A development system recompiles a development system from sources
>   2. The resulting development system rebuilds itself
>   3. The now clean (fixpoint!) development system rebuilds itself again
>      and also all the other packages too.

Sounds good.

>   Once we have doen this it will allow us to upload a clean source base
>   to SourceForge and that was planned as the "visible" starting point.
>   We did not want to upload something that can't rebuild itself and was
>   just "hacked" together somehow. We believe that a good quality start
>   is crucial to the success of it.

This makes a lot of sense.  Having something that actually works will
encourage people to continue, rather than going away.

> > Actually, that is really my question.  Is anyone working on a sample
> > implementation in parallel with the other efforts?

> Yes, there is. The reason why you haven't seen anything yet is that
> we have to have a critical mass that makes sense for others to
> download and play with. We hope to have this available before the
> end of May.

> If there are people willing to help even in this early stage, please
> contact me and I will think about ways to cut out some pieces for
> you so that you don't have to download hundreds of MB every day to
> stay in sync with the major changes we currently do.

Both myself and another Developer here in our Padua offices are
interested in helping out with this development.  I don't think we can
guarantee full time, but let's see what there is that we can assist
with.

Thanks,
--
David N. Welton, Responsabile Progetti Open Source, Linuxcare Italia spa
tel +39.049.8043411 fax +39.049.8043412 cel +39.348.2879508