Re: LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

> And CPU speed, plus #CPUs.

#CPU's is in sysconf() already. (Yes glibc happens to then go poke in
/proc at the moment but that doesnt mean we have to assume glibc wont in
the future use a kernel facility thats more convenient. In fact newer
glibcs will probably need updating to get the full benefit of the upcoming
CPU hot plug patches (sysconf in POSIX/SuS already supports asking for
"number of cpus" and "number of cpus online"

> some of these criteria are used to determine
> licensing thingies in some circles, as in
> "price depends on raw power of the machine".

Which has nothing to do with the CPU speed nowdays. A 2GHz PIV is much like
a 1.6GHz Athlon. A 1GHz C3 is much like a 700MHz Celeron. And of course the
ratio is heavily application dependant since the DDR RAM on an Athlon
matters to some apps while the bus bandwidth of the PIV matters to others.

Alan