Commands spec update

The following is the latest list of commands (47) remaining to be
documented:

ar
awk
cksum
cpio
dd
lpr
ls
m4
make
man
md5sum
mkdir
mkfifo*
mknod*
mktemp
more
mount
mv
ps
renice
rsync*
sed
sendmail
sh
sleep
sort
split
strip
su
sum
sync
tail
tar
tee
test
time
touch
tr
true
tsort
tty
umount
uname
unexpand
uniq
wc
xargs

Those marked with a '*' have been assigned to people already. We do
need some help completing the rest of them.  Preferably we'd like them
in docbook format as is currently being used in the CVS repository,
but we'll accept ASCII as well.

If you want to work on one or more I'd suggest emailing which ones you
plan to do to the mailing list before starting to minimise the chance
of duplicating work.  If you have CVS write access then just check in
the SGML to the repository and email Stuart Anderson. If you don't
have write access then email them to me.

The following are some guidelines for writing up the specification
for a command:

- Look for a specification in SUS, POSIX etc. If it exists then use
  this as a `base' reference. In order to use a reference it should
  be a proper specification document, not just a man page on a web
  site.

- Check the man page for the command on at least two different
  distributions.  Compare the specifications for the Linux systems
  against each other and against any reference spec if it exists. If a
  conflict exists between the Linux systems check the upstream version
  and use that as the canonical version

- If the reference spec is the same (if the only difference has been
  --version and --help I've generally not counted them) as the
  implementations then you don't need to write anything, just send a
  message to Stuart Anderson (anderson@metrolink.com) and let him know
  so he can update the database.

- If the linux systems version of the command conflicts with the
  reference specification, then still reference the command, and only
  list the differences (see other existing command specs for examples
  on how this is done).

- If the upstream packages are completely different sources then
  choose the 'best' one if you can (otherwise post to the mailing list
  if you're not sure). For example we've agreed to use the shadow
  suite version of commands where there is a conflict.

- If there is no reference specification then document the entire
  command (see commands like useradd/groupmod etc for examples of
  this).

- See existing specifications in spec/gLSB/command/ for examples
  on suitable SGML layout

Regards,

Chris.
--