Re: Fonts in the LSB?

Hi,

I don't know, if you have received a reply about this already...

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Matt Taggart wrote:

> Recently I've noticed that with increased support for TrueType fonts
> and more applications that can take advantange of them, there is a lot
> of confusion about what fonts can be expected to be on the system. In
> a quick search on linuxdoc.org, I found 4 different related HOWTOs,

[...]

> All of these have various pointers on where to get fonts and all of
> them mention using(stealing?) TT fonts from Microsoft Windows(tm). I'm
> worried that without a standard,
>
> - applications may have to assume that a font is present
> - applications may have to deliver the font themselves
> - free software applications may be dependent on non-free fonts
>
> Is this something that the LSB could solve?

In a later stage - probably. But it is way out of focus for LSB 1.0.

> Is this something that the LSB should solve?

Maybe in a special task force, for future addition.

> Would it be approprite to define a set of DFSG free fonts that could be
> assumed to be on the system?

Sounds like a good proposal!

	LenZ
 Lenz Grimmer                                           SuSE GmbH
 mailto:grimmer@suse.de                       Schanzaeckerstr. 10
 http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/            90443 Nuernberg, Germany
               To love her was a liberal education.