Re: Versions of chfn

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> I'm working my way through documenting the commands required by the
> LSB.

Excellent, thanks for working on that.

> There appear to be at least two versions of chfn in use which
> take different (conflicting) parameters.
>
> Debian:
>
> chfn [-f full_name] [-r room_no]
>      [-w work_ph] [-h home_ph] [-o other] [user]
>
> Red Hat:
>
> chfn [ -f full-name ]     [ -o office ]    [ -p office-phone ]
>      [ -h home-phone ] [ -u ] [ -v ] [ username ]
>
> I'm inclined to use the former. It is included in the shadow package
> from which the useradd, usermod, groupadd, etc tools come from. It
> also appears to be more configurable. Does anyone have any major
> objections?

FWIW, SuSE is using the first one, too:

       chfn [-f full_name] [-r room_no]
            [-w work_ph] [-h home_ph] [-o other] [user]

So, no objections from here :)

Thanks
	LenZ
 Lenz Grimmer                                           SuSE GmbH
 mailto:grimmer@suse.de                       Schanzaeckerstr. 10
 http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/            90443 Nuernberg, Germany
           Sherman, set the Way-Back Machine for 1492.