Re: Files modified by programs

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 venom@DarkStar.sns.it wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Phil wrote:
>
> > All this files make life very hard when you want to have a read-only /etc
> > (for example mounted from a CDROM or protected by security patches like
> > LIDS).
> of course you should have var on a separate partition.
> >
> > conf.module has successfully become module.conf. Why won't these changes
> > succeed too ?
> apart of tradition? apart of a lot of application breacking?
There is not yet tradition for /etc/network/ifstate, I think.
There are few programs concerned. For /etc/mtab, (u)mount is the only
program I know that read this file.
It seems to me that a very few applications are concerned by these
changes, and it also seems to me that these changes are worth doing them,
even if it take 2 years.

> There is a quite logical reason, if you consider what /etc directory
> should contain, and what those files are about.
> It is meaningless to put them in a /var/something directory.
Why ?

--
Philippe Biondi <pbi@ cartel-info.fr>   Cartel Informatique
Security Consultant/R&D                 http://www.cartel-info.fr