Re: Packaging and installation

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> > Nick, I don't know where you've been, but RPM _is_ the standard.  Most 3rd
> > party software out there that is packaged is packaged for RPM.  The
> > current state of affairs hurts the smaller distributions.  The LSB would
> > _improve_ the state of affairs by allowing ISVs to develop software that
> > would run on more systems than just Red Hat.  This is a good thing for
> > everyone (including Red Hat).
>
> Sorry to drag up this old thread, but this issue isnt going to go away
> by ignoring it.
>
> You (and the LSB) are suggesting that RPM should be the default
> package format seemingly on the basis that its more widely used.

Old?  Ancient is more like it.  I sent that out on October 26th of last
year.  That's over six months ago.  An Internet lifetime.  I suggest you
read http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/faq.html (why isn't this a link from
the main page guys?) and your question will be answered.  If not, please
read the next six months of thread, and perhaps it will become clearer.

And by the way this issue hasn't been ignored, folks in fact have made
tremendous progress.  You just haven't read anything from this year that
might illuminate this.

Please read more on the thread and do more research before sending an
email to the mailing list.  If you don't, you're just trolling.  If you're
having difficulty finding the thread, send me a private message and I'll
help you.

Jeffrey.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a       |
| Network Systems Management |  beautiful princess."                   |
| Sprint Communications      |  "Look, I'm a computer programmer.      |
o----------------------------|  I don't have time for girls, but a     |
                             |  talking frog is very very cool."       |
                             |  -- Unknown                             |